Anyone can volunteer and make a difference in the lives of families served by Shepherd’s Cove Hospice. Each person has their own unique gifts and talents that can be used to serve others. Some general categories of volunteer opportunities include:
Patient Care Volunteer
Patient Care Volunteers have gone through specialized training and have been extensively selected for their roles as a supportive listener, and with assisting patients and families to cope with and to adjust to a life limiting illness.
Hospice Volunteers may assist in the following ways:
- Stay with the patient allowing the caregiver to run errands or rest.
- Run errands for the caregiver who cannot or does not wish to leave the patient.
- Transport patients to and from physicians’ visits providing their automobile liability insurance allows.
- Read to the patient, assist with letter-writing, etc.
- Assist the patient with dressing.
- Perform simple homemaking chores if required.
- Assist the patient with the urinal or bedpan.
- Be a companion to the patient and caregiver by providing emotional support.
Office Volunteers help out in the office doing filing, making copies, answering phones, addressing envelopes, compiling newsletters, keeping scrapbooks, stocking supplies, light maintenance and yard work and general clerical assistance. Special projects are also a part of how office volunteers contribute to Shepherd’s Cove Hospice.
Shepherd’s Cove Volunteers
Volunteers who choose to give of themselves in our inpatient facility find numerous opportunities for service. Volunteers greet and direct visitors and families, make coffee, deliver and read mail to patients, refill water pitchers, accompany patients outside to smoke, restock linens, sit with a patient, assist with meals, and fold clean laundry.
After the loss of a loved one, it is important to know that someone cares and has not forgotten about YOU or the significance of the one you lost. Our Bereavement Volunteers maintain regular contact with families for a period of 13 months after a loss by phone calls, cards and notes on special rememberance days.
Public Relations Volunteers
A Public Relations Volunteer promotes Shepherd’s Cove Hospice’s philosophy of care to the community, increasing public awareness our services, promoting positive relations with the community at large and assisting with fundraising activities. Opportunities exist by way of distributing promotional materials, participating in health fairs, and speaking to groups, clubs and church organizations.
Want to Volunteer? Contact Us.